Fun crafty way to show off your holiday memories | Travel DIY

Whenever I go on holiday, I tend to keep every ticket, scrap of paper, and memento that I can find. Rather than taking pride of place back home, they tend to stay in a pile in a drawer somewhere, to be pulled out every few months and looked through.

I decided that this wasn’t good enough, especially when I had so many maps, stickers, and memories saved from my trip to Florida in October 2016. The mass of paper was being ignored and was taking up a lot of room in my drawer. I decided to fix two problems in one and made the most of these mementos by displaying them permanently in my room.

Here’s how I did it.

1. Take a look at how many bits you want to display. You’ll want bits to overlap in the frame to show that the trip was packed full of memories, so make sure you buy a frame suitable for the number of pieces you want to display. As I gathered so much, I bought the biggest frame that I could find. This white frame was £10 from Wilkos. I highly recommend the frames here; they’re very cheap yet good quality. They had a silver frame which was half the price, but after much deliberation, I chose white to match the rest of my room.
  2. Dismantle the frame. You can use the back of the white ‘display’ sheet that is included as your base sheet.
  3. Start sticking. I chose to use white tack to secure everything to the paper. This gives me the freedom to move things around if I want to. Also, I didn’t want to ruin everything. For example, I only picked up one map from Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. Rather than cutting it up and sticking it down, I simply tacked the whole folded map to the paper. Voila!
  4. Arrange your pieces. I liked to make sections, so I had everything from the Universal Parks in the top left. I arranged the Disney bits by park, so everything went together.
  5. Attach the frame back together and you’re done. Simple!

It’s a an easy and cost effective way to make sure you remember the great holiday memories everyday. It was also great fun to start cutting and sticking, deciding which bits were worthy of inclusion in the frame, and finally going through all those tickets.

This DIY project will work really well with a Disney theme park trip, but it can work equally well for a sight-seeing holiday. You’ll be surprised by how many plane tickets, museum entries, and transport passes that you will have brought back home. You could also include a few printed photos as well to fill in any gaps and give a personal touch.

How do you like to display your holiday memories? Have you ever done anything similar?

10 Comments

1. March 28, 2017 / 7:21 pm

I absolutely love this idea, I also keep every last thing from trips and then they just end up in a shoe box at the bottom of my cupboard. I’m definitely going to try this out after my next trip!
    Thanks for a gorgeous post.

Chantell
    xx

2. Aqy
    March 29, 2017 / 10:57 am

I keep every single memento from all of my holiday trips too! I store them in a travel journal 🙂 this is a great idea as well!

skinnydecxflatte.blogspot.com xo

3. March 29, 2017 / 2:37 pm

This such a brilliant thing to do! I don’t really do creative things with my holiday trips memories, but after seeing this, perhaps I should! Great post 🙂

4. Charlene McElhinney
    March 29, 2017 / 9:27 pm

This is so quirky and unique and omg I love it so much! I genuinely haven’t ever thought of doing something like this! I’m not an arty person but this seems pretty feasible to do!

Excellent post & thank you so much for sharing.

Yours is fabulous!

Charlene McElhinney
    @blogabtnothing1

5. Serena
    March 30, 2017 / 7:56 am

This sounds like a great idea, I love keeping thing from holidays and trips to look back on later

6. March 30, 2017 / 9:22 am

That is such a good idea! All my stuff just gets stuffed in a box and very rarely sees the light of day 🙈 But this is such a good way to showcase where you have been and what you have done

Tasha x

7. March 30, 2017 / 10:47 am

I love this; it’s so cute and hopefully my boyfriend and I are going to go on our first holiday this summer so I’m definitely going to do this for that!

8. Kayleigh Zara
    March 31, 2017 / 12:34 am

This is in an amazing idea, I absolutely a scrap book for all my train-plane tickets by I’d love to have them on display like yours x

9. April 2, 2017 / 12:25 pm

I love this idea! I’m always on the look out for cool crafty things to with photos and I’ve always wanted to do scrap books for my holiday photos but never get around to it.

10. April 2, 2017 / 3:29 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! This is actually a great idea for display. I have a box containing all my tickets and other stuff from travelling but I never imagine to put then on display.